Simpson Family in Pictures

b. 24 mar 1800 prob Antrim, Ireland
m. Jane UNKNOWN abt 1817 - abt 1877
d. 2 may 1873 Warrensburg, Johnson, Missouri
bur. Liberty Cemetery Fayetteville, Johnson, Missouri

The only picture we have. He sure looks natural.

"Richard and John Hunstman came here in 1829. Wm, McMahan and Samuel Cornett camer here about 1831. Elijah Young, an enterprising fruit-grower came in 1836. He is a member of the Christian church, and a quiet citizen, still living and enjoying the labors of his hands. Reason Offuit came here about 1842; Jackson White in 1840; Wm. Lemon, Andrew, Thomas, Robert and Wm. Matthews, and Adkin Powell, came here in 1842; G.W., J.P., and A.J. Redford, in 1843."
History of Johnson County, Missouri" pub. 1881, Kansas City Historical Society, p. 652, regarding Hazel Hill Township, Johnson County, Missouri

We haven't quite pinpointed William's date of immigration to this country, but we're sneaking up on it. In 1850, according to the U.S. Census, he and his wife Jane and their son William are living in Hazel Hill, near Warrensburg, Missouri in the household of one Andrew MATHEWS. All indicate their nativity as Ireland, as do a cluster of other MATHEWS families that inhabit the area. It seems likely that Jane is a MATHEWS, and probably left Ireland with the rest of them.

If the dates in the Johnson County History are reasonably correct, we'll have to assume that the SIMPSONs came over right after son William was born ca 1841-1842. Where they landed is anybody's guess, and it may take a while to track them back to Ireland.

Ireland, of course, isn't the destination we're looking for. The SIMPSONS, like many families in Northern Ireland, were Ulster Scots. We're trying to get back to to the Highlands of Scotland with all this, and then we'll drop in for a visit and a wee dram. Then we can chase the haggis around the room.

The SIMPSON name is a sept of Clan Fraser of Lovat

There are many stories about the origin of the name Fraser. According to Clan Fraser - A history celebrating more than 800 years of the family in Scotland [1997] by Flora Marjory Fraser, 20th Lady Saltoun, Chief of Clan Fraser: The truth of these stories is unknown but it is generally believed that the name Fraser traces its origins to the French provinces of Anjou and Normandy. The French word for strawberry is fraise and strawberry plants are called fraisiers. The Fraser arms are silver strawberry flowers on a field of blue. Only the Chief is entitled to use these arms plain and undifferenced.

The Frasers first appear in Scotland around 1160 when Simon Fraser made a gift of a church at Keith in East Lothian, to the monks at Kelso Abbey. The Frasers moved into Tweedale in the 12th and 13th centuries and from there to the counties of Sterling, Angus, Inverness and Aberdeen. About five generations later, Sir Simon Fraser [the Patriot] was captured fighting for Robert the Bruce, and executed with great cruelty by Edward I in 1306. The patriot's line ended with two co-heiresses. Sir Andrew Fraser of Touch-Fraser, cousin of the patriot, was the father of Sir Alexander Fraser of Cowie [ancestor of the Frasers of Philorth], Sir Simon Fraser [ancestor of the Frasers of Lovat], Sir Andrew Fraser and Sir James Fraser of Frendraught.

Frasers of Philorth (Lords Saltoun)
The senior line is descended from Sir Alexander Fraser, who married Robert the Bruce's widowed sister, Lady Mary, who had been imprisoned in a cage by Edward I. His grandson, Sir Alexander Fraser of Cowie, acquired the Castle (now Cairnbulg) and lands of Philorth by marriage with Lady Joanna, younger daughter and co-heiress of The Earl of Ross in 1375. Eight generations later, Sir Alexander Fraser, 8th laird of Philorth, founded Fraser's Burgh by royal charters obtained in 1592, and also built Fraserburgh Castle, now Kinnaird Head Lighthouse Museum. His son, the 9th laird, married the heiress of the Abernethies, Lord Saltoun, and in 1669 their son, Alexander Fraser became the 10th Lord Saltoun. The present Chief of the Name of Fraser is Flora Marjory Fraser, 20th Lady Saltoun, who is an active member of the House of Lords. The Family seat is Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire.

Frasers of Lovat (Lords Lovat)
The Frasers of Lovat descend from Sir Simon Fraser (younger brother of Sir Alexander Fraser, the Chamberlain), who married Lady Margaret, sister of The Earl of Caithness. Documents dated 12th September 1367, connect a Fraser with the lands of Lovat and the Aird. Among the lands acquired by the Lovat Frasers, the prominent ones were in Stratherrick, which was very dear to the hearts of the Lovat Chiefs, the church lands of Beauly Priory in Inverness-shire, part of the south shore of Beauly Firth, and the whole of Bisset, who also built Lovat Castle. About 1460 Hugh Fraser, 6th laird of Lovat, became the first Lord Lovat. The 11th Lord Lovat was beheaded on Tower Hill in London in 1747, following which the Lovat title was attained and the estates were forfeited to the Crown.

The estates eventually passed to the nearest collateral heir-male, Thomas Alexander Fraser, 10th laird of Strichen, Aberdeenshire, who in 1837 was created Baron Lovat in the Peerage of the U.K., and the attainder of the Scottish title was reversed in 1857, when he became 14th (but for the attainder) Lord Lovat. With the death of the 17th Lord Lovat in 1995, aged 83, his eldest son and his youngest son having died the previous year, his grandson, Simon Fraser, born in 1977, became the 18th Lord Lovat and 25th MacShimidh, Chief of Clan Fraser of Lovat. Castle Dounie was home of the chiefs of Lovat from 1511 until it was burned following Culloden. The current Beaufort Castle, built in the 1880s, was sold in 1995. The Lovat family seat is Beauly, Inverness-shire.


I Am Ready









Send Email

 Bud Simpson
12919 East 54th Street
Kansas City, MO 64133



Created 12 Feb 2004 by Reunion for Macintosh, from Leister Productions, Inc.
©2004 Bud Simpson